Saturday, October 06, 2001, 10:27:14 AM, you wrote:

S> System info: LM8.1 & Ensonique 5880 (es1371) soundcard.

S> I'm having a problem with OSS not starting after reboots.  aRts is starts
S> and I get sound from it but I would like to also have OSS working so that
S> I can run the Kmix Applet.  It was working fine when I had LM8.0 running
S> on that machine.

S> Assuming this is the problem... how do I get OSS to start up properly?
S> Or is there something else that is interferring with OSS's function?

S> Sevatio

I have the same chipset,same distro, and same trouble. Kde sounds work
fine through arts but when I am trying with xmms it simply "crashes".
The funny part is that it crashes randomly, one time it may work with
one kind of plugin (success in oss, arts, esound), other time it does not.

I tried many setting for xmms plugins and arts setup. Arts mostly
crashes when I let it restart (when no application uses sound). I made
the arts setting back to normal, but lastly I got an "cpu overload,
server shutting down" message, with no KDE startup sound and no KDE
tasbar.

I tried to run xmms with soundwrapper and without, nothing good
happened.

 Onur Kucuk