There is a problem with this, not all DNS/DHCP installations work alike.

Some "give" your machine a name when it requests an IP address from it's
pool. IPS's love to do this to your computer, thereby forcing a hostname
that their servers recognise.

Others request a hostname, and based upon the hostname your machine has
submitted, you get a particular IP or an IP from a particular range.

Still others request a hostname and update your domain info, etc.

It is quite likely that you can set a local hostname. When LM8.1
connects to a particular network, you'll find that it's machine hostname
is changed.

Each DHCP lease will also modify your /etc/resolv.conf further
complicating matters.

-JMS