I've just loaded Mandrake 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT laptop.
While I was able to use the CD's to put Mdk on the laptop, after
installation, it has the laptop as /dev/hdc

Here is the setup in /dev (commands are run as root):

>ls -l cdrom
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root       root    cdrom -> ../cdroms/cdrom0

>ls -l hdc
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root       root    hcd -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

>mount cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: special device cdrom does not exist

>mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
... hangs the terminal session (<Ctrl-C> will not break it).

Bottom line, I'm not able to use the CD.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron