Each PCI slot is "hardwired" to an IRQ channel.

Often two or more slots use the same IRQ channel.

Each "channel" can get an available IRQ assigned to it.

Thus you can see the problem...

A board may share an IRQ with another board since they are both on the
same channel.

You may have a sound card in slot 4 that appears to have the same IRQ as
a card in slot 2.

No matter what you do, these two boards will ALWAYS share the same IRQ
unless you move one card into another slot.

You CAN change the assigned IRQ, but you cannot change the IRQ sharing
(which it sounds like you are running into).

The easiest way to change the IRQ to channel assignment is to do it in
the BIOS. This makes it consistent across multiple OS's... If you use
WinBlows and Linux both may utilize the same assignments this way...
Although in Windows you may have to go into the control panel and under
"system devices" modify the settings so that Windows does not try to
reassign IRQ's...

-JMS