Doing a fresh Mandrake 8.1 install, and selecting EXT3 for all
partitions results in all partitions being EXT3 >EXCEPT< the root
partition.

Even though the /etc/fstab file specified the root partition to be EXT3,
it is mounted ( judging by fsck and /proc/mounts ) as EXT2.

I solved this problem by compiling my own kernel ( with EXT3 patches )
and by compiling EXT3 directly into the kernel ( not a module ).

Anybody know what causes this?  Can someone with permission add it to
the bug database?

Thanks,

Dan