On Tuesday 30 October 2001 00:18, myispnet wrote:
> I just did a clean install of 8.1...
> just got the CD's from Mandrake finally.
>
> everything went real smooth...did a complete re-install.
>
> however...on re-boot...it freezes everytime...when it gets to
> stopping portmapper services...why is this...how do i fix?

If you're using LILO in graphical boot mode, select  "Linux failsafe".  At
the prompt, select standalone/maintenance (this is from memory, I can't
really check now! :^)), and at the prompt, type "chkconfig portmap off".
Then, type init 5 (or whatever your default runlevel is) and the system
should boot as normal.  Note, you might also have to "chkconfig off"
processes associated with portmap that will now be dying because portmap
isn't running, i.e., nfs, nis(yp), etc.

If you're using LILO in text boot mode, type "linux 1" at the LILO: prompt.
Once you've got a "#", proceed with using chkconfig to turn off unwanted
services.  Look in /etc/rcX.d (X=your default runlevel) for files starting
with Sxx, then using the chkconfig command in the format above, use only the
word after Sxx.

--
Mitch Thompson, San Antonio TX
Key fingerprint = BBDA 3A2A 4483 BD0D 7CED  B8A9 D183 C8F6 B0AF 66AE