Hello,

I have a webserver and a desktop machine both running LM 8.0.  I've been reading about
some of the kernel problems before 2.4.12, and I'm thinking about upgrading.

I recently tried to build the 2.4.13 kernel on my desktop machine, and when I rebooted
a number of services (such as Apache) no longer worked.

I'm sure I can make this work eventually, but the problem is this:  My server is
off-site, and I have no direct physical access to it.  If the new kernel doesn't boot
cleanly, it could be a matter of days before I get the machine and can test and fix it.

The server is running the stock 2.4.7-12 kernel, and at one point when I was
configuring it, I had problems with the IDE drivers for the High Point 370 chipset.
The stock kernel was fine, so I stayed with that.

My question is whether there is a reasonably safe way to remotely upgrade to a newer
kernel, perhaps via an RPM, or should I stick with the ways things are?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp