Does anyone know what's changed in DHCP from 7.2 to the 8.x series of
Mandrake? I've tried just about everything to get my cable modem going in
8.1, to no avail, whereas in 7.2 it just goes through the install process,
asks how I want to configure it, I select LAN, then DHCP, and I leave
hostname and proxies config blank. Every time I've done that, it's been
flawless. I have a 3com 3c900B-TPO, which uses the 3c59x module, my PC is
a Compaq with a 500mhz Celeron, 192 meg ram, and an 810 chipset, and my
cable provider is Optimum online. Would an equipment change make a
difference? Perhaps a new Nic? I'm building a new PC (which due to budget
constraints won't be done til January at least, unless I go nuts with the
Discover card...you just never know) which will have a KG-7 mobo, AMD 1.33
T-bird, probably the same nic card (unless someone suggests differently).
Will that have a better chance of getting online?

I've pretty much given up hope about getting online in 8.1 - right now I'd
be happy if I just knew why I can't...

peace,

Rog

"The guy was all over the place. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him"