On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:08:25 +0530
Arnab_Ganguly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got curious and investigated a little bit yesterday on what is happening
> when the cdrom and floppy are mounted.
>
> mount /mnt/floppy results in /dev/fd0 unknown device, while a mount
> /mnt/cdrom leads to the machine hanging up on me. Next I looked at /dev/fd0
> and /dev/hdd in the /dev directory. These are links to /dev/floppy/0 and
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. These seem OK to me in the scheme of things, but then
> for some reason cdroms and floppies cannot be mounted. Interestingly, the
> system mounts a windows partition on the harddisc, and all other ext2, ext3
> and reiser partitions without any complaint or problem.
>
> I tried to revert to the MDK 8,0 kernel, but that seems to break a lot of
> things, no ext3 support, no xinetd, and also problems mounting some
> filesystems.
>
> Could someone suggest some way out of this problem. Can someone help me with
> the intricacies of the devfs? Or should I just upgrade to kernel 2.4.12 and
> hope that this device mounting problem is solved without this again breaking
> something? Has anyone tried out 2.4.12, does supermount work with 2.4.12?
> These are some questions that come in mind.
>
> Experts please help! Or at least send me the e-mail address of some of the
> relevant guys at Mandrakesoft, they might know the answers.
>
> Arnab

A quick fix for this until the problems being which are being caused by
devfs on some systems have been sorted out is to edit the append line
in /etc/lilo.conf
Change the entry devfs=mount to devfs=nomount
And run lilo.
This will turn off devfs and all your drives will now mount in the same manner
as in 8.0

Devfs, per say, is a good structure but there are problems with certain
system and hardware configs which were not encountered during its testing.

Upgrading to a later kernel, though it may help in other areas, will not
correct any devfs related problems.

   Charles
systems