Turgut Kalfaoglu wrote:

> Hello there.
>   Today we upgraded a customer's PC; it used to run Mandrake 7.1
> now it's running 8.1. We did a clean install; in fact, it's a new
> disk drive :)
>
> I basically need answer to two things
> 1) Is the default Kernel not configured to route traffic ?
> 2) Is the default Kernel not configured for firewall?
>
> Bonus question: Any ideas  how to fix my problems with forwarding
> traffic and firewall?
>
> Many thanks!
>  -turgut
>
> -----

Yes, depending on the kind of install you did, the default kernel should
perform both of the functions you have asked about.

However, this having been said, there could be many possibilities for
your problems. The first thing to look at would be the new module in
your LMDK 8.1 kernel. You must now learn about iptables, not ipchains. I
assume you had a default kernel in your older LMDK 7.1 system. It used
"ipchains". Kernel 2.4.X now uses iptables by default. You can change
this but you might want to read up on iptables, and use this method for
firewall security. That is, at least, a place to start with your
homework.....

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT SA