I've posted portions of this a couple times, but haven't received a
correct answer, yet. I see Civileme has answered a couple questions
lately, so I assume he survived the 8.1 release. I'm directing this
toward him, but if anybody else can help it'll be appreciated.
   I installed 8.1 on a Pll 400 with the 440 BX chipset. It has 192MB
RAM and a 12 GB hard drive. The HD is Windows/8.1 dual boot using the
boot from floppy option. On the 8.1 side I have a Reiser no tail root
and home and my swap partition. I read something about problems between
Reiser and NFS, I'm running netfs, network, and nfslock under services.
   My problem is I can use my floppy normally as root, but not as a
user. As a user I can format a floppy, but the only way I can mount is
to su to root, enter "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy". If I use my icon or
enter "mount /mnt/floppy" I get the error message, "wrong fs type, bad
option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too many mounted file systems".
If I su to root and mount it I can then control it as the user.
   Dmesg gives the following tidbits:
   EXT2-fs:Unreconized mount option iocharset
   floppy 0:data CRC error:track 0,head 1,sector 8, size 2
   end.request:I/O error,dev02:lc(floppy),sector 25

   ls -l /dev/fd0 gives the following tidbits:
   lr-xr-xr-x /root 8 Nov 7 06:22 /dev/fd0->floppy/0

   Here's my fstab entry for the floppy:
   /dev/fd0, /mnt/floppy, auto iocharset=iso 8859-1,sync,umask=0
   nosuid,exec,user,noauto,codepage=850,nodev,unhide 0 0

   I tried adding "nobiospnp" to /etc/lilo.conf, no joy. I'll
appreciate any help you can give me Civileme.
Randy Donohoe