Have a look at the cdwriter howto.  There is a simple script in the
middle of it which uses cdrecord and modprobe to setup the configuration
(for me the problem has always been to load the modules without manual
intervention).  The error messages can point to the problem if it
fails.  On my 7.2 system I had to put it in rc.local to force the system
to recognise and load the modules on boot as it refused to do it
automaticly otherwise.

BillK