At 10:45 AM 11/12/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>ltiu wrote:
>
>>My experience:
>>
>>64 MB is minimum for Linux running X (with nothing else). Meaning, it will
>>use up 64MB with kernel and X(KDE or GNOME) alone. If you use a lighter
>>window manager, maybe your 64MB will go further. If you start other
programs,
>>like say Netscape or Koffice or a couple of bash x-terminal shells, then
your
>>machine will start swapping.
>>
>     I don't know if what you say is true, and if it is, there's really
>a regression in Linux performance.  Before, it was possible to run Linux
>in a 16MB machine.  Kernel using less than 4MB and X less than 4MB too.
> I can't imagine that kernel and X alone could use up to 64MB.

We had Mandrake 7.0 for i486 running on 2 486/66's with 8 MB ram.  There
are, of course, linux's that will run on much less--heck there is even a
linux replacement / add on for the PalmOS.  And, if I remember correctly,
some team got linux running on a wristwatch.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978