A V Flinsch wrote:

>On Thursday 15 November 2001 20:43, you wrote:
>
>>Hello all!
>>    I'm running a mandrake 8.1 server which hosts printer and file
>>services for my windows 2000 machines via Samba; I would like to be
>>able to set up the same stuff for my imac running mac os 9.1 ~ what do
>>I need?  I want to use the same server that is already running Samba
>>and I would just like to add whatever I need to that server.  Does that
>>make sense?
>>

>You need to run netatalk, you can find Mandrake rpms at
>http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/
>
>You can run on the same server that you are running Samba on (I do it
>that way)
>
>As a side bonus, if you have a printer on a window machine, and it is
>shared via windows and it is set up to allow the linux machine to print
>to it, you can also see if from the Apples.

Awesome!  Thanks all for the answers - I'm up and running and it was
relativly easy (after a couple beers ;-)  )
I do have one problem though; I'm not really an apple / mac guy.  I've
only recently aquired a used imac and getting it networked to the rest
of my resources was my mission (now accomplished).  I'm still unfamiliar
with the ins and outs of the mac however, and while I can get drivers,
software, etc right from Epson for my model 860 inkjet and it will print
beautifully as long as I'm connected to the usb port on the mac; if I
print throught the network, it seems the only drivers available are the
generic laserwriter drivers.  My server is setup to use CUPS and I can
print from Win2k through Samba with my Windows drivers and I get perfect
prints - is there a way to setup the iMac to do the same thing?  I would
like to be able to control the print quality the same as I can when
printing from linux or windows clients to my server.  Do I set options
in my papd.conf file and then just always use those settings?

Here's my working papd.conf:

Epson860:\
            :pr=/usr/bin/lpr -PEpson860:\
            :pd=/etc/cups/ppd/Epson860.ppd:

I assume that the last line is the actual driver that I'm using, but on
the mac I've selected 'laserwriter8' from my chooser and it also prompts
me for a driver (for which I selected 'generic').

Thanks all!
Mike

--
echo Michael;echo ---;uname -s -r;echo on an;echo AMD Athlon 700MHz Processor with
768MB RAM;echo ---;uptime