I have that card and encountered the same issue.  I didn't get the card to
work properly under 7.2.  Luckily LM 8.0 came out just after I purchased the
card.  I upgraded my box to 8.0 and it works perfectly.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Rusty Carruth
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 3:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] Netgear FA-311 and linux - anybody tried? Got
working???? (fwd)

I've got the weirdest problem.

A friend bought a netgear FA-311 ethernet card, supposedly works
with linux.

(Well, ok, it supposedly works with a certain version of Red Hat,
which is at least one version of linux.  We won't go any further,
ok?  ;-)

So, I took their (netgear's) sources, managed to get them to compile
and load under mandrake - I could not get things to work at all.

So, I did a web search and found some network drivers that were supposed to
work with the fa-311, supplied as a SRPM.  So I built my own rpm
from their src rpm, installed it, and things looked like they were
working fine - until I actually hooked it up to my network at home.

The short version:

subject machine: Mandrake 7.2, with the afore-mentioned network
drivers installed, P200, 64meg ram, etc.

diagnostic machines: I think they are both mandrake 7.2 as well,
but don't quote me on that ;-)

My home network is 10.40.2.0 with a netmask of 255.255.254.0

I set up the fa-311 box with an address of 10.40.2.20, netmask
255.255.254.0,
and tried to ping my machine 10.40.3.1, which is definately up and
talking on the net.  The transmit light on the fa-311 card flashes,
as though it were transmitting packets.  But, I don't get an answer.
So, I go and do an arp -a on the two machines on my network that
I know work, and I don't see the fa-311 machine.  So, I try pinging
the other way.  The fa-311 does not reply.  And the 2 machines
don't have anything in their arp table either.

Has anyone seen anything like this with the FA-311?

Even more importantly, has anyone gotten it and fixed it???

thanks!

rc