The problem MAY have been only with the one website
(http://www.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/home.html) and, for some reason,
only on my laptop.  I just found that on my desktop, with the same Mandrake
installed (8.1) it works fine.  On my laptop, however, up pops the "download
shockwave" page.

I don't know what does it but I find that besides the One True Shockwave
plugin entry in file browsing -> file associations -> application, there
sometimes appears a second entry titled the same but with a different icon.
This second self-creating entry screws up shockwave.  Deleting it and then
restarting konqueror seems to fix the problem.

I still need to twiddle with my laptop to try to get it working properly,
however.

praedor