If you do not have separate partitions/mount points for /usr and /usr/local,
shame on you, but...if you DO have /usr/local as its own mountpoint (do it,
it is worth it) then simply move the netscape directory to
/usr/local/lib/netscape and, hopefully, the other apps/thingies you mentioned
are not scattered all over /usr and can also be moved.   Do a full install
instead of upgrade (even if an upgrade works, it will take FOREVER to finish)
and simply do not elect to format /usr/local or /home.  Install, move the
files/directories back to their old locations and go.

In any case, what's with Netscape 4.78 that you can't simply reinstall the
rpm for it after doing a new install?  Netscape is netscape is netscape
regardless of distro.  Any specific changes you made are tied to some config
file which can be saved and moved back into place anyway.