Guillermo J. González Rodas wrote:

>Hello,
>
>   I want to know if somebody had printing remotely using CUPS. I've
>tried the "lp -d printer@host file" but I've got the message "server-
>error-service-unavailable".
>
>   I look at the documentation but I didn't find how can I make de
>printing service available.
>
>   What could be wrong in this situation?
>
>   I have installed MDK 8.0 with the distribution original kernel.

Remote printing works like a charm for us. We have a mixture of Mdk 7.2
servers and Mdk 8.0 clients with two network printers (but we spool each
of them through our servers anyways) and one epson inkjet again spooled
through a workstation.

If you have a remote printer simply install it on one of your machines
as a remote printer and then let that machine spool the traffic to that
printer (or for that matter do that on all and have them fight for
access fifo)

then for printing you can simply use the local name (lpr -Pfac) would
spool my job on one of our servers and then forward it to our network
printer. My instance of cups knows about fac since the server broadcasts
that info.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow