There was a change on the newer versions of RPM. The "target" flag is
now:

        "-target i386" (they dropped the "=".

"man rpm" bears this out:

 --target PLATFORM
              When building the package, interpret PLATFORM as
arch-vendor-os and
              set the macros %_target,  %_target_arch,  and
%_target_os  accord­
              ingly.

There is no "=" between --target, and the platform designation.

Ric