Hi Experts!

I have a question that I would love to have answered, indeed I have spent
more than 20 hours trying to figure out the answer, but...could not answer
it. I had posted to this list earlier, but at that time I had not put in the
hard work.

Background: I upgraded from MDK 8.0 to 8.1 a few days ago thinking that 8.1
was going to be very good. Hardware Intel Celeron, Intel 810 board, 128M
RAM. ATAPI CD-Drive (/dev/hdd), IDE hard disk (/dev/hda). Everything working
perfectly on MDK8.0 both with devfsd and without devfsd.

Result : Now with MDK 8.1 in place I cannot mount the floppy or the CDROM.
When I try mounting it says /dev/fd0 is not a block device. I was able to
solve this by appending "nobiospnp" to the kernel boot parameter.

The CDROM IA A VERY DIFFERENT STORY. The system hangs when I try mounting
the cdrom. To try and solve this problem, I downloaded the latest 2.4.13
kernel (from kernel.org) and recompiled with devfsd, installed devfsd,
downloaded a bootscript for devfsd initialization etc, but the problem still
remains the same-- no CDROM! I always get a "drive seek error" for /dev/hdd
(my CDROM) while booting either with 2.4.8 or 2.4.13 kernel.

Interestingly CDROM and FLOPPYT work OK with the 2.4.3 kernel + devfsd +
script if I forcibly install (rpm -ivh --force kernel-2.4.3.mdk)but this
breaks the tempfs and a couple of other things.

Is there a major bug in MDK 8.1 that prevents users from using the CDROM? Is
there a fix that can be simply done? Or is one to forcibly install the
kernel supplied with MDK 8.0 and then recompile for tempfs support etc.

If anyone can show me some clean way of solving the problem (without this
forced old kernel install from MDK 8.0 etc)or at least tell me the fixed
software to download etc. it would be a great help and I would consider my
20 hours spent on MDK 8.1 as a gain. My e-mail address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Arnab

is appreciated.