On Monday, Nov 12, 2001, Dave Sherman wrote:

> Call me crazy (or more likely, ignorant), but what you are saying makes
> no sense to me. Mozilla 0.9.5 and Galeon (both from Cooker) required the
> libpng3 (from Cooker) in the first place! They shouldn't need to be
> recompiled. And I have had no problems with other apps using the older
> library, since both libraries currently exist on my system.
>
> What I am thinking is that somehow Mozilla/Galeon are loading the wrong
> version of libpng, and thus are not able to properly render .png images.
> Is there any way I can confirm if this is the case, or is there
> something I am missing?

What you should have done was download the Mozilla .src.rpm, and rebuild
it.  If you had libpng2-devel installed (you might have to install some
other -devel .rpm's), it would then require libpng2, not libpng3.  Right
now the one from Cooker requires libpng3 because that's what it was
built against.  As you found out, forcing an update from libpng2 to
libpng3 is a bad idea...

Generally it is best to rebuild anything from Cooker if you want to try
it out (unless you're running a scrictly Cooker system to begin with).

(I know this was an old message but better late than never.)

--
Paul Cox <paul at coxcentral dot com>
Kernel: 2.4.8-34.1mdk  -  Uptime: 21 hours 46 minutes.