Roger Munoz wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anybody managed to get the palm m505 usb cradle to work with jpilot in
> MDK8.1?
>
> Roger

FWIW - our experience with the visor usb cradle and jpilot since I
haven't seen a response, to the list anyway, regarding your query about
the palm m505. Some, all, or none of this may apply to the palm - I
don't have one so I don't know.

For the handspring visor usb cradle you need the following:

/etc/sysconfig/usb
# -*- Mode: sh -*-
<snip>
USB=yes
<snip>
visor=yes

/etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
<snip>
# load usb & visor modules
usbcore
usb-uhci
usbserial
visor

(Adjust for usb-uhci/usb-ohci on the line above as needed for your usb
chipset.)

/etc/devfsd.conf should contain the lines:
REGISTER        usb/tts/[13579] EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/visor.script add
$devpath
UNREGISTER      usb/tts/[13579] EXECUTE
/etc/dynamic/scripts/visor.script del
$devpath

At this point the automagic of devfs is supposed to make this just work
though our experience is that this can be a precarious thing. Go into
the gnome control center and use the pilot-link (or pilot-conduit - they
seem to be the same thing) to set up the conduits and the initial sync.
The critical thing we've found is to always press the hot sync button on
the usb cradle before initiating any sync operations in jpilot or the
conduit configuration. IF you can get the conduit configuration to go
then everything seems to be fine thereafter - but it took us about a
dozen attempts before we finally got it to all come together.

The above uses devfs in mdk 8.1 to make it all happen automagically. If
the automagic gives you trouble, as it did us at first, there is a
(probably incorrect but functional) fallback position you can use. We
used a script containing the following called from rc.local at boot time
to manually create the usb nodes. This worked for us for a week or so
until we got the automagic to work.

#! /bin/sh
# Create usb device nodes.
mknod /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
mknod /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 c 188 1
<snip 2-14)
mknod /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 c 188 15
chmod 0666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB*
ln -f -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

(note that there are 16 nodes (0 through 15), I snipped some for
brevity.)

If you can get the devfs automagic to happen you don't need this last
stuff. Ours gave us problems at first and I don't even know what we did
to fix it. YMMV.

Good Luck. I hope some of this applies to the palm unit.

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]