Hi Hugo,

I can confirm 1) 2) and 4) below. I had no problems with the sound card and
I personally feel that (1) and (4) are serious errors that were overlooked
by the release team/ testers, while 2 is extremely irritating. See my posts
subject Solution -- MDK 8.1 CD & FLOPPY cannot be mounted for seeing the
ridiculous amount of work that I had to put because the Mandrake release
team decided on all sorts of experimental stuff in their 2.4.8 kernel.

Somewhat advanced users can solve these problems, but for newbies and others
who are not technically inclined, these are definitely dead end problems and
will serve to further the image Linux has as a "programmers'" Operating
System.

Arnab

> Can anyone confirm/deny these problems:
>
> 1. Creating boot floppies generates empty initrd.img.
> 2. DMA time-outs on prevouslly working Chipsets/drives.
> 3. Sound card correctly detected but not working.
> 4. Access to CD not correctly set-up (permissions and).
> 5. Using command line configuration, KDE configuration and/or Mdk's
> configuration seems to wreak havoc on the system.
>
> TIA.
> Hugo.

is appreciated.