On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 09:55, Robert Boggs wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to make MY files accessable to my network. I have
> samba working, in that I can mount any ot the other computers drives,
> however they still cannot see my drives. HILP, Please. I want to use 'Drake
> almost all of the time, however at this time, I cannot, due to my wife
> needing to access my 2 storeage drives. THANKS RB

Robert,

If you are wanting to create a simple public folder that is available to
all the users on your network, add this to your /etc/smb.conf file:

# A publicly accessible directory
[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/public
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   valid users = dave, carrie

Note that the directory /home/public must exist, and must have
read/write/execute permissions for for everyone:
        chmod 777 /home/public

This way, Samba users will be able to use it.

For your "valid users", you must have Samba user accounts setup on the
Linux machine. In my case, "dave" and "carrie" are the actual linux user
accounts as well as the samba user accounts. If you don't know the
difference, I would recommend reading the Samba documentation included
with Samba.

In any case, to create a Samba user account, as root:
        smbadduser username

The smbadduser script will walk you through setting up your user and
password, and this is the user name you will use in the "valid users"
section. They do not need to be the same as a real Linux user account,
although in my case they are the same.

Dave
--
consultant, n.:
        Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.