Subject message follows the following:
segmentation fault: seems like memory is missing as the install crashes.

I had just selected something like ATAPI CD from the SCSI select window
in a vgalo expert install. I did this because the CD in the system is an
AOpen ATAPI CD-RW and on the previous attempts to boot from the CD, boot
would always fail at second stage load.

Is there any hope of getting 8.1 to install on this brand new Amptron
SiS730 system without changing any hardware?

BTW, the first windoze 98SE install on this system failed. It did
install, but standard desktop operations all failed. Double clicking on
a desktop folder would cause an "illegal operation", as would attempting
to open windoze explorer from the start menu. A second install of
windoze worked better, but any attempt to use a PCI slot device means
something breaks. The motherboard has onboard NIC, sound, & video.
Installing a real modem in a PCI slot means either the sound or the
network won't work. Installing a SCSI HBA in a PCI slot causes screwy
and unpredictable SCSI errors.
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/