If you have any ide connections left, place the new hard drive as whatever
you have available (ie, hdd, maybe?).  If not, is there a CDROM or CDRW
drive that you can temporarily disconnect?

If not, then you can do a 'tar -cvjf /path/to/tempdir/home.bz2 /home',
which will tar / bzip2 anything on /home.

1.  Next, place the new hard drive into the PC (and restart).

2.  Once everything comes up (possibly with a /home mount error), type
fdisk /dev/hd[a-d] (depending on where it is on the ide controllers), and
create an ext2 partition.

3.  Run mke2fs.

4.  Run tune2fs (and add the journal to convert to ext3).

5.  Mount the new partition as /home-new (make sure /home-new exists).

6.  From within /home, do a 'cp -a * /home-new' (or if you've had to pull
out the old /home, do a 'cp /path/to/tempdir/home.bz2 /home-new', then do a
'tar -xvjf home.bz2'.  If this places an additional 'home' in the directory
path (ie, /home-new/home/*), do a 'cd home' and then a 'mv * ..' .

7.  Edit the fstab to mount the new drive as /home, and the old drive as
/backup, /archive, or whatever (unless you have no spot for the old drive,
in which case don't worry about adding an fstab entry for it).

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978