From: Tom Brinkman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] automating mount proces

On Thursday 06 December 2001 09:32 am, Franki wrote:
> Hi Tom,
> Got a few questions for you if I may...
> Why did you have to upgrade initscripts and iptables to go with
> 2.4.16-1??? I have that kernel, initscripts-6.27-10.4 and
> iptables-1.2.4-2
> Should I upgrade them?? it all seems to  be fine and iptables is
> definately working...

kernel-2.4.16.1mdk-1-1mdk
iptables-1.2.4-2mdk
initscripts-6.40.2-3mdk   ... is what I've got, additionally I have

setup-2.2.0-16mdk     .... and
lm_sensors-2.6.2-1mdk

   IIRC, setup was a dep for initscripts. 'iptables -L' gave me the
mismatch with kernel version error, so I knew to get the latest for
2.4.16.  'sensors' quit working with 2.4.16,, but an upgrade fixed
that.

   Difference might be that I used the ready made 2.4.16 kernel, but
all the other ones were cooker src.rpms using rpm --rebuild.  If your
usin a vanilla source kernel, I have no idea if the supermount patch
will work.  I've had no problems with Mandrake kernels >= 2.4.13 and
supermount.
 ~ $ locate supermount.o
/lib/modules/2.4.13-2mdk/kernel/fs/supermount/supermount.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.16.1mdk-1-1mdk/kernel/fs/supermount/supermount.o.gz

> Secondly, with supermount -i enable and mount -a
>
> should I add them to rc.local???

   No Frank, I just ran them initially to add 'supermount' to fstab.
I believe I forgot to mention to 'umount' all your removable devices
before doin 'mount -a' , mea culpa.

> I really would love to get supermount working for  cdrom and
> floppy,, (so samba can share them effectively.)
>
> any help, much appreciated.

  As I alluded to in my earlier reply, I suspect different people are
gonna experience different results/success/failure, since we're all
runnin different hardware.  FWIW, here' my fstab after 'supermount -i
enable' for removable devices

 ~ $ less /etc/fstab
none    /mnt/cdrom      supermount
fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,ro,nosuid,
nodev,codepage=850,exec 0 0

none    /mnt/cdrom2     supermount
fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,ro,nosuid,
nodev,codepage=850,exec 0 0

none    /mnt/floppy     supermount
auto,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,
noauto 0 0

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA