Ed Tharp wrote:

> Well I stand corrected, it does not put it back to the last state, it creates
> a new one that can only read the M$ style partitions, as I have been
> corrected on this list 9I coulda sworn when I did it, it put it back to the
> last install state, but I could well be wrong about that since it was based
> on personal observation and _not_  on being a hard drive expert.

w98se recover disk can restore state of boot sector. in building recovery
disk,
a copy of boot sector is made as part of system recovery. or so i have been
told by a friend who makes this claim. i do not dispute his knowledge, ad
it seemed a logical thing to include in a recovery disk.

> On Friday 07 December 2001 18:34, you wrote:
>> Hi Ed:
>>
>> I am asking this in order to gain some knowledge here.  Where do you
>> find information about the format /mbr command and option.

'/mbr' is a 'non documented' 'feature' of msos. it came about in early dos.

it 'arguments' 'fdisk' not 'format'.

i found it while disassembling fdisk, was also told about it by a friend
who was told to use 'fdisk /mbr' by ms tech support, when it was support.

i have found power quest's partition editor to be a safe byte changer,
before, i used symantec norton disk editor. ptedit is easier. only use
lastest version.

safest thing to do if you must maintain msos, is get msos on drive
by itself. no need to endanger loosing linux.

learn linux, and you can use it to correct a partition table with
fdisk or use 'dd' and restore a backup yourself. but you must/should
have linux on it's own drives. it deserves it.

cyoa. ;)

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...  save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth,
  save storage.   send email,   text/plain - disable pgp/gpg/geek code