On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 20:55, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> Greg Sarsons wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone using or has used mdk 8.1 as remote syslog?  I'm trying to
> > figure out why there seems to be gaps in the logs on the 8.1 machine.
> > It could be the device(router) that is logging to my box but I'm not
> > sure yet.
> >
> > All I did was stop syslogd and klogd and start them up again but this
> > time I said
> > syslogd -r
>
> I added "-r" to /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog...  and it seems to be fine here.
>
> > I do have some info in the log but it is missing or not getting all
> > info.
>
> Are you expecting everything in /var/log/messages, or have you added entries to
> /etc/syslog.conf to separate the logging...?
>
> > Ideas ??
> > Greg
> >
> > hmmm ... guess I could sniff for all packets going to the port for
> > syslog
>
> Can't hurt... :^)
>
> Pierre

tks for checking ... I added another entry to syslog.conf and piped it
to /dev/tty1 as well.  Then to make sure it wasn't missing anything sent
to it I had tcpdump running and watching for udp packets going to port
514.

It logs all the packets I'm seeing which is good but it looks like the
router is not logging properly :(

Greg