Robert Fargher wrote:

>   I was at one client's machine this weekend, trying to figure out what is
> going on.  He has one of those  4 port Linksys home router/NAT firewall
> units.   If I bypass the Linksys router and connect the cable modem directly
> to his machine, the POP latency disappears and mail transfers are fast.  Put
> the Linksys router in the path and the long latency re-appears; the log
> entries in /var/log/secure and /var/log/syslog are almost simultaneous.  (I
> do not know whether all the clients having problems have such a router/NAT
> firewall or not).

I have a LinkSys and it works fine with LM8.1...  to get more info as to what
might be happening with the router, upgrade its software to one that has logging
capabilities (I'm running 1.40.1) and set it up to log the connection attempts;
you don't actually need a logging server to see what the router might be
rejecting (see my web page at http://pfortin.com/Linux/LinkSys/), just watch
what the router is sending...  these logging packets are "send and pray" in that
they are sent only once each and do not expect a response.

Take a trace of the working traffic with ethereal and tcpdump; then again with
the router inline and watch for unexpected log entries.

HTH,
Pierre