Looks like everybody has joined the 'bandwagon!'

AMD is the way to go.  They do as much, if not more then lower end P4s.  They're also,
in some
cases 40% of the price.  (Depending on speed of course!)  I mean I bought 1.2 Ghz
Athlon for
like $120 I believe.  That's with 266 FSB as well.  I just did a check on a local
computer
store's prices, that's now down to $105.

Stay from onboard anything really.  Unless it's on board ATI, and you don't need a
really good
graphics card, or on board 3Com.  Even with the onboard 3Com NIC, you can run into
problems.
Onboard sound is always horrible.  Most people do infact need to rely on MAGIC to get
those
onboard chips to work.

I can't remember the model number to my motherboard, but it has an onboard IDE
controller and
it works very well.  Though I know some people on the list have slammed it.  I think
it's the
K7133-something.  Works very well.

With combined parts, I built a 1.2 Athlon, 512 RAM, 50 GB, dual NIC, 52x CD-ROM for
right
around $500.  For the processor and 512 RAMBUS RAM, you will have spent about that I
believe.
(I already had one NIC, and one HDD I believe.)

I would suggest going DDR.  Real cheap, and performing very well!  I think we'll move
towards
that, instead of RAMBUS like M$ and Intel seem to want us to.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091
 | I'm shopping for a motherboard and CPU. At least a Pentium III and maybe
 | I'll spend the bucks for a Pentium 4. I'll consider AMD also. Any
 | recommendations?  The more PCI slots, the better. But, I want a board
 | that's 100% Linux compatible - I don't to spend a couple of months trying
 | to make stuff work.
 |
 | Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
 | Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

  11:14AM  up 48 days, 23:53, 5 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00