Hello All,

This problem has only occurred still MDK 8.1 was installed a couple of months
ago and is something I have been able to live with until now.

When my system is first started /dev/dsp does not exist and if I try to run
kmix a message is displayed that says something like "invalid es1370 sound
card". Also the sound level is very low.

I can overcome this problem by running the sound configure tool from
Harddrake. Sometimes this also fails because sox can't play the configure
sound message because /dev/dsp does not exist. Pressing the configure again
usually gets the configuration under way if Harddrake doesn't lock-up.

Stuffing around like this everytime I want to use /dev/dsp is very annoying.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a cure?

--
Regards,
Phil