I've also had problems with the version of gcc mandrake installs.  To
install 2.95.3, I down loaded the source from gcc.gnu.org and compiled it.
Just make sure to pass --prefix=/somedir/  to configure where somedir is
not an install dir for your other versions of gcc.  The install docs are
pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps,

Randy