I am running a laptop with 7.2 on it.

The questions I have is:

Is it worth trying an upgrade of the kernel to 2.4.x?
I have a USB port that 7.2 sees, but appears to not be able to use, and
I would like to get a webcam working on that port. No need to explain
here, please just point me to good article on installing new kernel.

Would there be any improvement in system (media playback) speed?
Unlike a Winblows installation on the same laptop, under MDK7.2, I can
actually watch feature length movies (AVI's), but when there is alot of
action, combined with a pan of the background, the drop-offs get over
60%.

Perhaps there are some tweaks I am overlooking?
I have already played with hdparm to crank up (e)ide 32 bit I/O support,
and that made an improvement.
I will allow that 7.2 has MUCH better memory management than any form of
win-duh-ohzz, but is there possibly a way to pre-load shorter videos
fully into memory; I assume that this would reduce drop-out as the
system would then not have to wait for disk reads, but perhaps the video
rendering is more of a processor issue?

System info
AMD 380 (~700 bogomips)(i think)
160MB ram
4GB hdd
Neomagic video & sound (i know, i know, junk!)

Ken

williamgates?
attilathehun?

Coincidence? I think not.