Basically it's telnet over SSL.  Much more secure.

[timh@r2d2 timh]$ grep 992 /etc/services
telnets     992/tcp    telnet protocol over TLS/SSL
telnets     992/udp    telnet protocol over TLS/SSL

It's used more in BSD from what I've seen.

[timh@eric timh]$ telnet yoda.unixtechs.org
Trying 66.41.161.213...
Connected to yoda.unixtechs.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
Trying SRA secure login:
User (userID): userID
Password:
[ SRA accepts you ]

It's still not as good as ssh, or have as many options as ssh, but it's
better then regular telnet.  Most servers that will accept a telnet
connection will accept a SSL telnet connection as well.

But if your telnet client doesn't allow, or doesn't know to send to
that port, it will not.

I'm pretty sure you can get a client for Mandrake.  FreeBSD I know for
sure installs off the bat with this secure form of telnet.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091

 | Hi,
 |
 | I just ran nmap on my machine and it shows 'telnets' listening on port
 | 992. Of course, telnet is disabled and there is no trace of telnetd or
 | whatever running when doing ps -ef.
 |
 | Any idea what this could be ?
 |
 | Thanks,
 |
 | Thomas.
 |

 | Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
 | Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

  11:51PM  up 52 days, 12:30, 3 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.01, 0.00