First off, cant you turn of HTML multi part emails? that's not good
netetiquette

Oh dear! that's all I can say, the amount of emails I sent to tyan about
this motherboard is ridiculous! and they still have not fixed it it
seems. I have the same cpus as you as well

Did they fix that annoying "feature" in the bios display of CPU
temperature display that only updates when you press the arrow keys?
(this would not be so bad, but the default value is 75C! argh!)

I got 1.02 with mine, upgraded it to 1.03 from their site. Adaptec SCSI
did not work, neither did my IDE cdrom, finally installed with all scsi
HD and CDROM.

type "hdparm /dev/hda" you can toggle some stuff in that. When i tried I
got the same as you did, check the kernel archives there is someone else
who had this problem, he partially fixed it but the HD was running so
slow it might be better to get a scsi card like I did.

well, all I can say is good luck!

JG