Last night I updated to kernel 2.4.17. from kernel.org (plain vanilla
sources). Did my usual config and compile, and rebooted. Normally, I use
devfs (append devfs="mount", in lilo). However, the boot fails with an error
about "mkrootdev" failing - can't create node - error 17 (I'm working from
memory, from last night). Said it couldn't find the init parameter, and to
pass it to the kernel during boot. However, if I boot WITHOUT devfs (append
devfs="nomount"), it works fine.

I did check that devfs support is compiled in, and mounted during boot. I
have been using devfs since 2.4.8.

I think I may have missed a step somewhere, or that something more changed,
but I'm not sure where to investigate next. There was no readme that
mentioned updating any kernel support programs.

Pointers/explanations, anyone?

--
Goodbye youth, goodbye dreams,
The good times and the friends I used to know.