-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jason Guidry
Sent: Monday, 31 December 2001 2:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Cannot login as or su - to root

Let's all raise a glass to franki!

the situation was complicated slightly by my unbootable redHat6.2 partition
being detected as root and then mounted under /mnt in rescue mode.  I had to
mount my mandrake root as / and then edit the /etc/security/limits.conf,
editing out the offending file size limits.  I'm still unable to log in as
root, but I can su just fine.  *whew*

again, thanks so much!

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:46:23 +0800
"Franki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> boot from your first CD.
>
> Then type rescue at the prompt,
>
> then type chroot /mnt
> once the system is up..
> that will "simulate" your system, and give you access to all its files as
> root.
>
> Then you can do what you need to, and boot back normally.

<snip>

Jason initiated by saying:

> I'm pretty sure I'm having that problem with Bastille limiting filesizes
> which prevents me from su to root.  but all of the fixes I've found
require
> logging in as root, which I'm unable to do.  For those unfamiliar with
this

<snio>