I just experimented with this situation myself.

I logged into my server (which is keyboard and mouse and monitor less),
and logged in as one of my ftp users.

I then typed su, entered in my root password, and then typed in shutdown
-r now. The system rebooted itself properly, then when it was backup, I
tried -h now and it shutdown fine.

This is just a basic install, which has been updated to cooker (12/18).

The user is part of the root group (don't ask. I realize this is
insecure). but otherwise has nothing special attributed to him.

The only thing I can think is are you disconnecting from the telnet
session? I close all the windows as soon as I'm done sending the
command.

NB