On Thursday 03 January 2002 12:27 pm, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an IBM 300PL (233mmx, with 160MB ram.)
>
> It has an inbuilt Matrox Mystique with 2MB and I have added a 32mb
> TNT2vanta to it.

I had a similar problem with a family member's machine.  I kept messing with
the XF86Config-4 until I finally got it.  I ended up basically removing all
references to the on-board.  But the kicker was that X was set up to run dual
monitors (it seems to assume if you have two video cards - you want to hook
up two monitors).  So I was having the same blanking out and such upon trying
to startx at first.  You have to pay particular attention to the
monitor/screen numbers/names.  It seems that the on-board was associated with
the 1st monitor (or only monitor in this case).  It's been a while, so my
memory of the specifics are escaping me right now, but that was the jest.
Make sure you have the correct monitor/screen set up for the card/chipset you
want to use.  Of course this is only one factor, but check it out.
hth,
-s