At 06:38 AM 1/4/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>When I install the Smoothwall firewall (an old Laptop), I will be adding a
>second NIC to replace the modem, and connect this NIC to the firewall.
>
>Inet<--->Firewall<--->MDK8.0 Box<--->Network Hub<--->all other clients
>
>Do I still need IPTables/Masquerading? Can I just point all the clients to
>the firewall IP, or as it will be connected directly to a box, rather than
>the HUB, will the mdk box still be the gateway?
>
>Obviously, I will be removing the bastille firewall as this becomes redundant.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dave.

First, as I am sure you are aware, a firewall is only a firewall if it
provides some kind of protection. You will need some kind of port filtering
to occur, either iptables or ipchains. Now what I do not know about is
"Smoothwall". Is this some kind of firewall software, and does it run with
an OS or is it a stand alone firewall app? If you want clients on the
private LAN to access the Internet by using one IP address,  you will need
some kind of NAT and/or IP forwarding functioning on the gateway server,
and this, from your diagram, looks like it will be the firewall machine. So
without totally understanding what Smoothwall does, I would say you need
firewall (iptables or ipchains) rules, NIDS rules, and IP forwarding to be
on your firewall machine. Hope this helps a bit.....

J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT SA
-Art is the illusion of spontaneity-