Pierre Fortin wrote:

>I see no one has tried to help...
>
>This works:
>
>  for i in `cat $temp`; do
>
>avoiding $list altogether...
>
>HTH,
>Pierre
>
>Vincent Danen wrote:
>
>>I need a little help with something.  I'm not used to writing scripts
>>in zsh, but I'm modifying a lengthy script already written in zsh and
>>am stuck with something.  In bash and perl, I don't get this problem.
>>
>>I'm doing this:
>>
>>temp=`mktemp /tmp/filelistXXXXXX`
>>for i in 7.1 7.2 8.0 ppc/8.0 8.1 ia64/8.1 1.0.1 snf7.2 SRPMS; do
>>  [[ -d $DEST/$i ]] && ls -1 $DEST/$i/*.rpm >>$temp
>>done
>>
>>list=`cat $temp`
>>rm -rf $temp
>>
>>for i in $list; do
>>
>>The problem is, the first instance of $i contains everything in
>>$list.  In bash, it takes the first file that ls returns.  In perl, I
>>would use chop($list); but there doesn't seem to be something
>>equivalent for zsh that I can see quickly.
>>
>>Basically, I want every file listed in $temp to be read as a single
>>instance in my for loop, but it's reading the *entire* file as the
>>first instance, which is incorrect.
>>
>>Any ideas?  Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>MandrakeSoft Security, OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
>>1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD
>>
>>Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk uptime: 14 days 6 hours 55 minutes.
>>
>>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>   Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

That not helping part has been very prevalent lately. I guess everyone
has been busy trying to enjoy the holidays with their families. I have
posted many questions that I have not received a singel answer to yet!
Two of them I had figured out, evenutually for myself and posted the
solutions. As long as we post solutions then I am content wether I solve
it on my own or someone else helps out. Just as long as we help one
another. It is amazing what can be solved in a little amount of time
with just one question being answered. I apologize for not posting
earlier to this message not that I am knowledgeable or anything with zsh
but I am resourceful.