-------- Original Message --------
From: - Fri Jan 04 14:30:45 2002
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:30:43 -0600
From: nds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [CrashTesters] CDRW/DVD Combo Success Howto

nds wrote:

> I followed the great link that Falcaraz provided us. My only problem
> that Xine 0.9.7 was designed to block all dvd decoder software from
> running on Xine. There is a way to fix this but I don't want to post
> it to this group in fear that I might be doing something illegal or
> worse!... endanger my subscription to the crashtesters or any of the
> other mandrake lists. All I can say that I am running Ogle and it is
> smooth, crisp, clear, stable, and giving me everything that I want.
> Xine could do.The best way to maintain support for ogle and xine at
> the same time is to be sure to have " /usr/local/lib" and "/usr/lib/ "
> in your "/etc/ld.so.conf" directory. The major obstacle to overcome
> the DVD/CDRW Combo drive from working was that it needed "raw"
> devices. On my system, LM 8.2 Cooker is not enabled by default to have
> any raw devices enabled and running. I will post instructions on how
> to correctly do this from the ground up when I finish watching "Blade"
>  Yeahhhh!! I love it I love it, baby. I'm going to make a
> little script as well soon. Thank you Falcaraz as you were the major
> factor in my success with getting my dvd to work. I just didn't like
> the fact that I got everything to work other than my dvd on my
> cdrw/dvd combo drive. Happy happy joy joy! Peace!
>
> P.S. That was a great birthday present!

LoL You would not believe this but the "fix" to Xine was missed by my
own ignorance! It was mentioned in the docs and I zipped right pass it
everytime! Now I have Xine and Ogle working fine on my computer. The
problem with getting these programs to work with LM 8.1 and LM 8.2
cooker is that if you have a CDRW/DVD Combo drive, you don't get any raw
devices for your drive generated. Only the CD writer script gets
executed completely. I had to create "/dev/dvd, /dev/rawctl, /dev/raw1,
/dev/raw2 (not needed but just in case;-)), and /dev/rdvd".

/dev/dvd is made the same way that my /dev/scd0 is made. My /dev/scd0 is
a link to rawdevice scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd (My cdwriter). ie a
"ls -l" will produce on my computer:

/dev/dvd -> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
/dev/scd0 -> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Next I had to make a raw device. In the DVD-Howto you have a choice
between that in creating a stin/stout files. I felt using the device was
best for performance reasons which I think is true in my case. You will
need to have fileutils-4.1-5mdk (It has mknod which we will need) and
util-linux-2.11m-4mdk (that has raw, the other program we will need).

/bin/mknod /dev/rawctl c 162 0
/bin/mknod /dev/raw1 c 162 1
/bin/mknod /dev/raw2 c 162 2
/bin/mknod /dev/raw3 c 162 3
/bin/mknod /dev/raw4 c 162 4

/usr/bin/raw /dev/raw1 /dev/dvd

ln -s /dev/raw1 /dev/rdvd

Then run and exectute xine or ogle. For xine use:

xine -pq dvdnav://

and for ogle

ogle -u cli /dev/dvd

or just plain

ogle

if you want a graphical version to run. I hope this helps and this is my
success story.

Altoine