Thanks all...

I'll take this discussion to mean I should use *way* fewer words in future...
to think, this started with my offering help by prefixing my answer with:

> I see no one has tried to help...

:^)

So...  to shorten *my* unanswered issues:  :^)

1. kppp has a memory leak (yes, graphing is off)

2. LM8.1 Software Installer is still "dead in water"

3a. sound gets clobbered when X/KDE die
3b. ES137[01] sound cards (others?) are problematic (see my web site)

4. [NEW+OT] LinkSys products are buggy (see my web site)

Ooooopss...  gotta keep it short...  LOL

Pierre
http://pfortin.com/Linux