my guess is it means there is a hardware conflict, does it show in 7.2? only
8.1? if you find 8.1 to be a "resource hog" why? have you gone thru and
turned off all the servers that you might not need but have installed? do you
have USB? (the 2.2.x kernel [used in 7.x MDK] handles USB some what
differently than the 2.4.x[used in 8.x MDK]) is USB enabled in the bios? is
the video "onboard"?