> Anyhow, I have just WINDOWMAKER in mine, no DESKTOP= part at
> all. Again, iirc, startx ignored the file when it said
> DESKTOP=WINDOWMAKER and would always start KDE. Granted, this is
> startx from runlevel 3 and not a graphical login manager from level 5,
> but should it really make a difference? Does `DESKTOP=' include the
> meaning `and use the associated gui login manager'?

The file is dtructured so that just the name of the WM means thats the
default WM when you start X (Which can be overridden from your home
directory) and the DESKTOP= parameter defines which graphical login manager
the system starts in runlevel 5.

If neither exist (or the file dosn't) then the defaults kick in (KDE in both
cases)

--
Andrew George

The Lord prefers common-looking people.  That is the reason that He makes
so many of them.
                -- Abraham Lincoln