On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:43:43 -0500, Randy wrote:

> Pierre Fortin wrote:
> > I've recently uncovered some nasty problems with my LinkSys router;
and a> > recent purchase of what they sell as a *hub* turns out to really
be a> > *switch* (I wanted a *hub* for a very specific purpose)...

> Pierre,
>
> I'm curious, a switch is almost always better than a hub -- hmm, maybe
> unless you're trying to do some multicasting, but, even then, I'm not
> sure.  What purpose do you need a hub rather than a switch for?
>
> Randy Kramer

True; but for monitoring the Internet side on my DSL router, I need to see
all packets, not just broadcast/multicast packets.  I described the
problems on my web pages (http://pfortin.com/Linux/LinkSys/)

Looks to me like the LinkSys hub and switch are probably the same
internally...  but I need a hub...

Pierre