Thus spake Charles A Edwards ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:47:36 -0800
> Deryk Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I've just finished installing 8.1 on two machines - both previously
> > running 7.2
> >
> > Although I am pleased with the look and feel of the new system there
> > are some definite shortcomings (IMHO) in the install/update process
> > (if anyone from MDK is listening).
> >
> > First and this has been brought up before, why is there no "install
> > everything" option? I dedicated a 40GB hard drive to this
> > installation, I'd much prefer to have installed everything and then
> > removed what I didn't want.
>

> Even distros such as SuSE and RH which offer an Everything selection, still
> do not install all the pkgs.
>
> With Mandrake during package selection you can toggle to flat list and
> manually select every package included in the CDs.
>
> Be forewarned the installation will only check pkgs for depends, it will
> not check for conflicts.
> So if you select it, it will be installed and you Will end up with apps
> and programs that will not work.
>

> > Upgrading (which I attempted at work) is unreliable: as had happened
> > once before, on a previous upgrade, everything seemed to go OK until
> > the pwconv setp at which point the system seemed to go into a loop - I
> > despaired after about 15 minutes and hit the reset and decided to do a
> > complete install instead. Has anyone else had trouble here?
>

> Even when 8.0 was released it was recommended that it be done as a Clean
> install not as an upgrade to 7.2.
> Since 7.2 both the directory structure and the rpm version have been changed.
>

> > Unfortunately, because of my first point above, I am mow spending
> > hours (literally) cleaning up and installing everything I missed. I
> > mean, I clicked on every possible box in the main install process and
> > still got no command line mail reader installed!
> >
> > My biggest beef, though, is: what happened to Zope? It came on the
> > download disk set for 7.2 but there don't seem to be any 8.2 RPMs
> > anywhere on the disks or the Mandrake site.
> >
> > Come on folks, this is still open source and you used to supply it. An
> > "upgrade" which doesn't include functionality you used to provide is
> > no upgrade.

> Zope was dropped because of its poor security record.
> Check Quanta which is included in 8.1 and it performs better than Zope.

If this was a good enough reason to drop zope, why is snedmail still
on the CD?

The point is that I recall seeing no warnings, no nothing telling me
that if I was running a semi-production website via zope (which I
am/was) then I'd be facing a fair amount of work to keep it running.

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |