>does he send to that smtp while connected to the same isp that provides
>the smtp service ? because some isp's reject addresses that are not coming
>from their domain's (address calss)

Of course he is.
Everything else works well in his network share system.

So I had to ideas :

1. his provider check the name of the machine, and his linux box has a name
like "localhost".

2. in IP-Masquerade How-To :

<< POP-3: Some users configure their internal MASQ'ed computer's POP-3
clients to connect to some external SMTP server. While this is fine, many
SMTP servers out there will try to IDENT your connection on port 113. Most
likely your problem stems around your default Masquerade policy being set
to DENY. This is BAD. Set it to REJECT and re-run your rc.firewall ruleset. >>

So I had a look in /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.inet_sharing-2.4 :

>#!/bin/sh
># Load the NAT module (this pulls in all the others).
>modprobe iptable_nat
>
># Turn on IP forwarding
>echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
># In the NAT table (-t nat), Append a rule (-A) after routing (POSTROUTING)
># which says to MASQUERADE the connection (-j MASQUERADE).
>iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
>
># Allows forwarding specifically to our LAN
>iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT
>
># Allow dhcp requests
>iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p udp --sport bootpc --dport bootps -j ACCEPT
>iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --sport bootpc --dport bootps -j ACCEPT
>iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p udp --sport bootps --dport bootpc -j ACCEPT
>iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --sport bootps --dport bootpc -j ACCEPT
>
># Allow dns requests
>iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p udp --dport domain -j ACCEPT
>iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --dport domain -j ACCEPT

I didn't notice something wrong.

Any idea ?

Thanks!

Francois