Perhaps my situation is similar to yours.

However the japanese support in mdk8.1 is broken, not only do none of
the kanji get displayed properly but kinput for wnn is not installed by
default!

Playing with smome stuff can i got kinput working on english mandrake
with kterm, but not in Xwindows as a whole.

Do you know of any HOWTOS on this issue? I am considering writing one,
as I can not find one.

JG

I cc this to the people listed by

rpm -q kinput2-wnn4-v3.1-0.1mdk --changelog